Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Ride of the Valkeries

Out of curiosity (and the link being on our Art 211 blog page), I decided to take a look at the Ride of the Valkyries excerpt that the famous song is often used from. Needless to say, I was entertained. I have always known that this song was from an opera but I never knew it was form such a tragedy themed showing. Countless times have I heard this song in movies and video games and shows and have always wondered at it's origins. The music has always been incredibly powerful for me and whenever it started playing, I knew something awesome was about to happen.

It' always interesting when something from our modern age of technology adapts a piece of music or part of an older piece of media, like this opera, for use in modern entertainment because we, as viewers, never know how well or poorly it's going to be used. In all the times I've heard the instrumental version of this song, it's always been a wonderful usage and I hope it continues to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment